Therapeutic Aboriginal Engagement Project
The Commonwealth Department of Social Services provides Up2You Inc with the resources to deliver a highly innovative community engagement program for vulnerable Aboriginal, non-Aboriginal, Culturally and Linguistically Diverse clients with complex disability needs in the Perth Metro area. The activities increase the capacity of individuals to prevent psychiatric episodes; self-harm incidents, and will assist with brokering clients into community activities. The activities build confidence, self-esteem and increase community inclusion. The following outcomes are currently being achieved.
- Increased fitness and mental capacity
- Enhanced a sense of personal worth
- Opportunities for self-expressions
- Engaged in common interests with other people
- Provided opportunities to demonstrate independence and autonomy
- Increased opportunities to develop relationships with other people
- Increased choice and control improving the persons quality of life
The Project utilises the following Up2You strategies to achieve its success. social participation through recreation, leisure, volunteering and employment choices. Plus, education, employment, literacy and numeracy activities. We also facilitate the Up2You Coffee Club and provide a weekly Laughter Club. To assist with Aboriginal awareness and healing programs we utilise knowledge from local Noongar Elders.